Meet John Boudreau
He is much sought after by organizations, businesses, and academia for his insight and innovation in the fields of the Future of Work and Organizations, Human Resources, Human Capital Management, and Executive Development.
Dr. Boudreau is Professor Emeritus of Management and Organization and a Senior Research Scientist with the Center for Effective Organizations, at the Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California. His large-scale research studies and focused field research addresses the future of work and the global HR profession, work automation, HR measurement and analytics, decision-based HR, executive mobility, HR information systems and organizational staffing and development.
A strong proponent of corporate/academic partnerships, Dr. Boudreau helped to establish and then directed the Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies (CAHRS) at Cornell University, where he was a professor for more than 20 years.
He has served as a Foundation Trustee of the National Academy of Human Resources, and serves on the Transformational Investment Capacity Committee of Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), and on the Board of i4cp and PlayWorks.
CORPORATE EXECUTIVE DEVELOPMENT
Dr. Boudreau consults and conducts executive development with companies around the globe that seek to maximize their readiness for the future of work and organization evolution, by optimizing the strategic impact of superior people and human capital strategies.
He is a strategic advisor to a range of well-known organizations, including early-stage companies, global corporations, government and military agencies, and non-profits.
- Consulting and research clients include American Express, Asian Development Bank, Avon, Baxter Healthcare, Blue Shield, Boeing, Bristol-Myers, Citigroup, Corning, Dell, Dolby, Electronic Arts, Frito-Lay, Gap, GE, The Hartford, HP, Kaiser, Mattel, Merck, Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), Microsoft, Northrop Grumman, Novartis, Pfizer, PepsiCo, Shell International, Royal Bank of Canada, ScotiaBank, Sun, TriWest Health, Towers-Watson, Unilever, United Technologies, Unisys, the United Nations, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, The World Bank, and Williams-Sonoma.
- He has been an invited contributor to executive programs including Cornell University, Harvard, IMD, University of Michigan, and Wharton.
The author of over 200 publications, including more than 10 books, features on his work have appeared in Harvard Business Review, The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Fast Company, and Business Week, among others.
Scholarly research has appeared in Management Science, Academy of Management Executive, Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Asia-Pacific Human Resource Management, Human Resource Management, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Human Relations, Industrial Relations, and Journal of Human Resources Costing and Accounting.
Recent books include Work Without Jobs (with Ravin Jesuthasan), Reinventing Jobs (with Ravin Jesuthasan), Lead the Work (with Ravin Jesuthasan and David Creelman), Retooling HR, Beyond HR (with Peter M. Ramstad), Investing in People (with Wayne F. Cascio and Alexis Fink, now in its 3rd edition), Transformative HR (with Ravin Jesuthasan), and Achieving Strategic Excellence in Human Resource Management (with Edward Lawler).
- Dr. Boudreau received the 2023 Purdue Krannert Graduate Institute at the Daniels School of Business “John S. Day Distinguished Alumni Academic Service Award.”
- Dr. Boudreau was the recipient of the 2018 Heneman Career Achievement Award from the Human Resources Division of the Academy of Management.
- He is a Fellow of the National Academy of Human Resources, and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology and American Psychological Association.
- He received the 2013 Michael Losey award from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) for excellence in research that has enhanced the human resource profession.
- Professor Boudreau was the first Visiting Director of Sun Microsystems’ unique Research and Development Laboratory for Human Capital.
- Dr. Boudreau’s research received the Academy of Management’s Organizational Behavior New Concept and Human Resource Scholarly Contribution awards.
- He received the 2009 Chairman’s Award from the International Association for Human Resources Information Management (IHRIM) for lifetime achievement in human resource information management.
- The recipient of the General Mills Award for teaching innovations at Cornell University, Dr. Boudreau founded the Central Europe Human Resource Education Initiative, connecting American HR professionals and academic researchers with faculty and students in the Czech and Slovak Republics.
EDUCATION AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Dr. Boudreau holds an undergraduate degree in business from New Mexico State University. He holds a Master’s degree in Management and a Ph.D. in Industrial Relations from Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management.
- Dr. Boudreau is a Fellow and Foundation Trustee of the National Academy of Human Resources. He has served as a member of the board of advisors for the Human Resource Planning Society and WorldatWork.
- He chaired the Advisory Board of the California Strategic HR Partnership, a silicon-valley HR executive consortium, and served as an advisor to the Saratoga Institute, a global source of human capital benchmarking and performance measures.
- He has been elected to the executive committees of the Human Resources Division of the Academy of Management and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology.